My first Anna dress was a firm favorite in my summer wardrobe, it is no surprising that I want to make another one, especially now By hand London is hosting a sew-along, which has become my lunch time read lately.
A habit of mine is always cut fabric in such an economical way that there’s hardly any left or a large whole piece was left over for something else. This includes sometime cutting on single layer (like my tirumisu dress) and sometime interesting pattern piece layout. I felt I was up to a challenge this time.
- Style changes. There’re seven pieces for the skirt, seven! I’d gone mad trying to match all of them! For my insanity and to save fabric, the first thing I did was to convert the 7-piece skirt pattern to 3 pieces only. One piece for the front skirt and a pair for the back. In the photo below, I just overlapped the seam lines of the center front and side front pieces and stick them together using a low-tact tape. Easy-peacy. The same goes for the back pieces, except I cut the front piece on the fold but cut a pair of back pieces.
- Decide where to match. It will be pretty awesome to match EVERY SINGLE seam – horizontal or vertical. It is impossible, though, at least for this type of directional print. The pattern pieces are not perfect rectangular, so If I matched the pattern pieces on the shoulder seams then the bodice side seams will not match. The seams that join the bodice and the skirt will not match anyways due to the presence of the pleats and ducts. The most obvious and probably the easiest seams are the centre back seams which were the one I concentrated on.
- Lay out the pattern pieces all in once, cut on a single layer of fabric, and match at the seam lines. When I say all, I meant the ones you want to match. I cut my bodice front and skirt front (now one piece) from the fabric first – using the most economical way of course. I then traced another back bodice and back skirt pattern pieces and laid out all of them at once on the remaining fabric, with the fabric right side up. REMEMBER: lay the two identical pattern pieces for the bodice and skirt as mirror images to each other. My fabric has about 30cm pattern repeat, which means some pieces need to be at least that much distance apart. An useful tip: use a reference point to show the pattern repeat. I used colorful clamps at a reference point (two little birds sitting on a stag, if you must know), to help me visualize the pattern repeat. I then laid my pieces down, shifted them around a few times. I marked the seam line on the pattern pieces and tied to match the fabric underneath them. My patterns pieces were made out of Swiss tracing paper which is slightly transparent, so I was able to see the fabric underneath the paper quite well. Once I was content, I pinned the pieces downs and cut them out using a rotary cutter (or scissors, as you prefer) . Remember the old golden rule: measure twice, cut once. In my case I match three times, and cut once. ALSO, don’t forget to mark the seam lines on the wrong side of the fabric (I used dressmaker’s carbon paper and a teethed tracing wheel). The marked line would guide you in the future.
- Baste first, by hand or by machine. Once you cut the pieces precisely, you are half way there! The first part of the matching stitch started with the invisible zip installation at the bodice central back, which is always tricky. Note, if the bodices don’t match, the skirts won’t. The best advice I can give you is to baste the zippers by hand before sewing, and zip up to check the fit, if not good enough, baste again till you are happy with the alignment (let the marked seamed line guide you). Don’t get frustrated by ripping the basted line, keep calm and carry on. I got it right on my second attempt. I then machine basted the skirt pieces using the longest stitch length, again, guided by the marked seam lines. Check, once happy, sew again with a shorter stitch length this time. If you are really not confident to install a matching central invisible zipper, why not move the zipper to the side instead? My dress has a lining so I have some extra steps to fix the lining to the zipper, no tricks here, and no pattern matching, just try to be careful when hand stitching in case of angry bubble at the zipper end.
For rest of construction I will fast forward, in case you get bored…closed the side seams, finished the sleeves by hand and hem the skirt by blindstitching. Look, perfectly matched back seams. Can you tell the centre seam on the back?
For the lining hem I used one of my fancy stitches came with my vintage Bernina, a scallops hem. It was super easy, I just stitched around the hem line and trimmed off the fabric. I love the effect so I don’t mind the extra effort on trimming with my small pair of scissors. I did it in front of my telly crouching in the sofa and it took me an episode of “Big Bang Theory”.
A few photos for y’all. Sorry about the poor lighting. Since winter approaching, the day is getting greyer and shorter, taking photos is like a battle with the light. Every I adjusted the light the moment I took the shoot it got darker! I added a belt and threw on a pair of heels so it doesn’t look too much like a little girls’ dress.
With the lining the dress feels quite warm. Although grass green is not an exact fall/winter colour, but somehow it makes me happy and eases my winter blue. I can see a lot of wear out of my second Anna.